Tuesday, September 2, 2008

This is how the Romans do it

So it’s Tuesday and still no bags. Delta said they are “off the radar” (whatever that means). It’s okay though, I am just ‘backpacking’ across Europe… well Italy.

Monday we met really early and went to Vatican city (which I can see right now from the balcony of my hotel). I saw the Sistine Chapel- I couldn’t close my mouth. After touring the Vatican we separated and four of us ate lunch at an outside café, then we strolled through streets and I bought some much needed clothes.


View from the Hotel Pacific


Chelsea found this church near the Colossum that had stairs that were brought from Jerusalem around 376 AD. These steps are thought to be the steps that Jesus walked on the day of condemnation. Now they are in a small church in Rome and covered with wood but there are some openings were blood marks were found. We climbed the stairs but you can only climb the stairs on your knees-which we did, all 28 of them! Very cool.

Today we met early again and went to the Villa di Borghese. This was the house of the family of a Pope long ago. Inside there was Canova’s Paolina Borghese statue, Bernini’s David and many Caravaggio paintings. I love Carvaggio. Love it. Afterwards we met Peter at the Spanish steps and he took us on a tour Rome and I got to see my favorite painting by Caravaggio, ‘The Calling of St. Matthew’.


Chelsea, Erika and I at church.



Well that’s about it. We leave for Naples in the morning!
Love and miss you all!

Roma never fell.

p.s. the Pope says hey.

No comments: